Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

New Wave


I am a total 80s freak! Everyday that goes by I truly wish I was my age in the 80s. I would be having the time of my life going to the clubs, dancing all night to that awesome pop/new wave music of the time. Music back then had power, it was new, it was fun, it was positive, it was catchy, so much so that you can still hear it today. The music of the 80s has enough power to continue being popular through all the eras of music.

I generally love all 80s music from the rock to the new wave but the new wave/pop is definitely my favorite. New wave has a pop catchy sound with a hint of darkness or industrial sound such as Depeche Mode. I can never get enough (no pun intended... Depeche Mode has a song called I Just Can't Get Enough) and no matter how many times I hear an 80s song I never seem to get tired of it. When a song comes on the radio I raise the volume and get excited as if it were something new. I can't imagine what it was like hearing these songs for the first time back then... again it was something new and fun. Everyone seemed to equally enough the music of the time unlike now where people are divided by music; you're either a rocker or rapper. Music united people then which is the power that music should have and all in a positive way!

My cousins are the ones to thank for this 80s inspiration. I'll never forget watching the Wedding Singer with them as a kid and they had the soundtrack (all 80s) which we jammed to the next day going to Taco Bell. I fell in love. However, to this day I cannot pick my favorite 80s song, it's too hard, there are too many, nor my favorite artist. All the songs and artists contributed to the 80s era in their own way making them all pretty significant.

Here are a few of my favorite songs:
The Outfield - Your Love
Bananarama - Cruel Summer
Yaz - Situation
Depeche Mode - I Just Can't Get Enough
Michael Jackson - Beat It
Aha - Take on Me
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Madonna - Holiday
Wham! - Everything She Wants
Devo - Whip It
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
Modern English - I Melt with You
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Duran Duran - Rio
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Men at Work - Down Under
The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
Human League - Don't You Want Me
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
The Romantics - Talking in Your Sleep
New Order - Blue Monday
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
The Cars - You Might Think
Animotion - Obsession
After the Fire - Der Kommissar
The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another

AH and so many more that I can't think of at the moment! I don't think anything will ever match or beat the music of the 80s. I like some of today's modern music but it doesn't have that staying power of the 80s, the new-ness that mesmerizes the entire world. When I hear 80s music I see myself dancing the night away dressed with wild, colorful fashion and big hair with a lot of make -up and coming home at 5am. If only I had a Delorean...!

1 comment:

  1. Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

    More than 160 000 men and women are trying a simple and secret "liquid hack" to drop 2lbs every night in their sleep.

    It's scientific and works every time.

    This is how you can do it yourself:

    1) Grab a drinking glass and fill it up with water half glass

    2) And now follow this awesome hack

    and you'll be 2lbs thinner the next day!

    ReplyDelete