Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Or do they?

I don't really know what Tears for Fears were singing about in their 80s hit "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." I can say that they made a song that I'm assuming many liked in the 80s but it's a song that, to me, brings back a great memory that will always be tied to this one song. Does that happen to a lot of people? Do you have a song or songs that you attach to memories and that no matter how many years later you hear the song again the memory replays like it was happening all over again? I know I do. It could be good or bad, happy or sad. 

Every time I hear this song I go back to high school. I was part of a tight knit group of friends (the only girl too) and we were in our senior year with one junior hanging out with us. I'll never forget one of my friends coming over to my house with a Greatest Hits CD of the 80s. He said "You're going to love this if you love 80s music!" That Friday night we were getting ready to head out in my old 1990 BMW. I was the only one with a car so everyone cramped in. We started to drive out of the neighborhood with the radio on when my friend reminded me of the Greatest Hits CD; he popped it in the CD player and this was the first song on the track. The song had a mesmerizing affect because everyone stopped talking and started jamming. We rolled the windows down and sang out loud as if we were kids in the 80s. It was like a scene straight out of an 80s movie. 

It's moment stuck in time that makes me feel good no matter how old it is. I heard the song earlier this week , had the flash back and decided to share it with you since I believe music has the music to stir good things. 

I leave you with a link to the song/music video of: Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Enjoy :-)

1 comment:

  1. A lot of music causes me to rewind back to a specific day or event. I think this might be true for anyone who listens to music. I cant help but think of the Hub and I when I hear tom petty's song "Refuge" or almost any song on the damn the torpedos album. Music truly a unversal language!

    ReplyDelete